Recipe: Tasty Vegetable Muffins
Written by Simone Austin | Swisse Accredited Practising DietitianMay 8th, 2020
- 1 medium (120g) Carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen or canned corn
- ½ cup frozen spinach, chopped, moisture squeezed out
- 1 cup (125g) tasty cheese, grated
- ¾ cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yoghurt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (250g) self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
- Place the spinach and carrot onto kitchen paper or a cloth and wrap it around the vegetables and squeeze all the juice out, to avoid having soggy muffins.
- Place the eggs into a mixing bowl and lightly whisk.
- Add in the spinach and carrots along with the peas and sweetcorn. Add the cheese, milk, yogurt, olive oil, paprika, chives and stir until combined. Stir as least you can as over mixing causes ‘tough’ muffins.
- Mix the flour slowly to the wet ingredients. Fold in gently, until just combined. Stir as least you can as over mixing causes ‘tough’ muffins.
- Spray a 12 hole muffin tray with oil or grease with butter. Spoon the mixture, equally, between the 12 muffin sections. Bake for 15-20 mins, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes to cool and then cool further on a wire rack.