Recipe: Slow Cook Minestrone Soup
Written by Simone Austin | Swisse Accredited Practising DietitianJune 3rd, 2020
- 2 rashers of lean bacon or 100grams leftover roast meat e.g. turkey
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 stick celery, trimmed, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- ½ teaspoon black pepper corns
- 1 (or 2 if you like it spicy) small red chillis
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 x can crushed tomatoes
- 1 x 420g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed (e.g. cannelloni, kidney)
- 1 cup risoni pasta
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- Handful of fresh basil
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan
- In a fry pan, add in the extra virgin olive oil and when heated add in the onion and cook for 1 minute, add in the garlic, celery, chilli, bacon (or other meat) and carrot and cook until the onion has browned.
- Turn on a slow cooker to high and add in the onion mix. Add in the bay leaves, tomatoes, stock and beans. Cook for 3 hours and then add in the risoni pasta and green beans.
- Cook for another 1-2 hours on low, it is ready when the carrots are tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh basil and parmesan cheese.