10 Ways To Put The “Super” Into Your Superfood Smoothie
Smoothies, the flavour of the month
Who doesn’t like the taste of a pretty pink berry smoothie or the glow of a green one? Smoothies are very popular right now and it’s no surprise, given how delicious and versatile they are. How can you help make yours healthy and nutritious too?
When you drop food into your blender to create your latest smoothie masterpiece, the smooth consistency might make it easier for your body to take in the goodness. However, depending on what’s been added, smoothies can also be higher in sugars from fruits and sweeteners like honey.
How to make your smoothie more super than ever
What can we do to enjoy a healthy smoothie and moderate the sugar hit? Below are my top 10 tips to create a delicious smoothie that can be added to your wellness lifestyle:
- Consider fruit that has a lower sugar content, such as strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, and use a fist-size portion.
- Keep the skin on fruit where possible, for extra nutrients.
- Blend the whole fruit, not just the juice, still sticking to the fist-size serving.
- Add in vegetables, which are lower in sugar and packed with nutrients. Cucumber, carrots, and green leafy vegetables such as spinach, silverbeet and kale, are all great options.
- Include a wholegrain such as oats, barley or buckwheat. A carbohydrate will increase the vitamin and mineral content, and provide dietary fibre.
- Consider sources of healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, seeds, yoghurt or milk.
- Add in a serve of protein, such as cow’s milk, soy beverages, yoghurt, 100% nut butter, nuts and seeds. Even oats can add some protein. Be mindful that alternative milks (other than soy) can be low in protein.
- The total ingredients should be only as much as you would eat in one meal, not more.
- Give it some zing with herbs or spices, such as cinnamon, turmeric, parsley, basil, cumin seeds, nutmeg or fennel seeds - they are packed with flavour.
- For an extra boost, add in your favourite wellness blend powder.
Enjoy your smoothie packed with goodness!