Recipe: Slow Cook Family Roast Beef and Vegetables
Written by Simone Austin | Swisse Accredited Practising DietitianJune 3rd, 2020
- 1kg slow cook roast beef
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, removed from stem to sprinkle
- Ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ cup red wine (optional)
- 1-2 cups beef or vegetable stock (enough to half cover the meat)
- 2 brown onions, quartered
- 1kg potatoes (washed, quartered- leave skin on)
- 500 grams pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 8 button mushrooms, brushed clean or lightly washed
- 3 fresh tomatoes- washed and halved
- ½ small cauliflower, cut into 6
- ½ cup tasty cheese
- Green vegetables to accompany e.g. fresh green beans
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan forced) or 180 degrees
- Place roast meat into and over proof dish or roasting tray and brush all over with one- two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle over the sweet paprika, ground black pepper and rosemary.
- Add in the potatoes, pumpkin, carrots and sweet potato and brush with some of the oil.
- Pour over the red wine and stock to cover half of the meat.
- Cover tightly with oiled foil or a lid.
- Place in the oven and cook for 4 hours. Half way add the tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Add the cauliflower to an oven proof dish with a little water or chicken stock.
- Sprinkle with the tasty cheese and sweet paprika if desired. Add to the oven at the 3 hour mark.
- Remove the lid or foil and cook for a further 45 minutes or until the meat has browned and is tender.
- Prepare other green vegetables you may like to serve e.g. fresh green beans, broccoli or cabbage that you can pour the juices over.
- Rest meat for 10 minutes before serving.