The MasterChef judge shares his recipe for a healthy, wholesome winter meal. Serves 4, but we wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to keep it all for yourself.
Components for single serve:
- ½ zucchini
- ¼ eggplant
- ½ red onion
- ½ capsicum
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
- 100g feta
- 2 zucchinis
- Olive oil
- 2 Eggplant
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 capsicums
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 50g Extra virgin olive oil
- 250g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel
- 2 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 brown onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- Begin by making the tomato sauce. In a heavy based pot, fry the coriander seeds until they become aromatic.
- Add the diced onions, fennel and finely chopped garlic and cook until soft with no colour. Add the bay leaves and tinned tomatoes and season well. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Roughly chop the cherry tomatoes and add to the sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
- To prepare the vegetables, peel the eggplant and cut into wedges, seasoning with salt. Leave stand for 15 minutes, pat dry.
- Toss eggplant in flour and fry at 180°c for 3 minutes. Dry on paper towel.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthways, season with salt and olive oil. Grill for 3 minutes until well coloured, before slicing into 3cm portions.
- Next, BBQ the capsicums until blackened and soft. Place these in a bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Crush the 2 cloves of garlic and add to the olive oil along with the thyme. This will marinade the capsicums. Peel the prepared capsicum, place them in the oil marinade and reserve. This can be kept well in advance.
- For the red onions, leave whole (in the skin), season and wrap in foil. Place onto coals or onto a flame and cook for 15 minutes turning occasionally.
- Assemble the variety of prepared vegetables into a bowl and toss with the tomato sauce. Top with crumbled feta and bake for 20 minutes until bubbling and cheese is caramelised.
- Serve and eat!